Friday, March 9, 2012

ISLAM

While learning about Mohammad Ibn Adbullah, the man who pretty much founded Islam, I found out that we was a pretty chill kind of guy. He married a wealthy woman and he became a merchant. I learned that he had some sort of withdrawal in his life and meditated a lot, he wasn't always a happy person. This makes me think that maybe he might have had some sort of mental illness or maybe, because he was meditating so long, he went a little crazy. He was meditating when he got a message from god that told him that we needed to be the messenger of Allah. I have two theories about this none of which include anything religious. The first is that he was crazy. I know that is my theory for every religion founder, but its because I don't really believe in god or at least that god can actually talk to people. But  this theory means that Mohammad actually thought that he got a message. So it would have been like hallucination in a  sense. The other theory is that Mohammad wanted power. Also a theory that say for other people like Mohammad. But to me, religion is purely propaganda, but I don't think I should get into that argument because I will get so off base with what this post is actually supposed to be about. But I will say that what most people want is power. What better way to get power then to create a religion, say you were visited by god and use that to gain followers. Maybe I am way off about all of this but I just can't believe that Mohammad was visited by god and told to be a messenger, but I guess it would be hard for someone that doesn't believe in god to think Mohammad was visited by god. But, I will say, that I think Christianity and Judaism have a lot more less believable stories, like Jesus dying and then coming back to life or Sarah having a child at the age of 90. I am really sorry, but I would argue that neither of those things ever happened. And has anyone ever thought about how those kinds of things only happened a really long time ago? People don't come back to life nowadays so how is it that so many more supernatural things happened back then instead of now. It's because people know that they can't make something up like because of all of the modern technology and media, and also just the amount of people around. That is just something to think about.

But back to Islam, in particular the Islam Movie. Something that I found interesting about the movie was the fact that it was mostly about the Islamic Empire, not the actual religion. It mostly talked about how Islam was pretty much a platform for that culture to develop and gain land/ prominence. As Islam got more and more followers it, obviously, grew and so this made the leaders stronger and then they were harder to defeat. Islam is the biggest religion in the world (second biggest?) but it is also one of the newer religions, meaning it came after Christianity and Judaism and Hinduism (etc.). It seems so crazy to me that Islam could have grown to the size it is now in that short of a time. But it seemed like it was just in the right place at the right time. It was started to get big at a perfect time where Europe wasn't really doing so well so this gave Islam opportunities to expand and conquer new lands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment