Friday, March 9, 2012

Islam: My Thoughts Before Very Much Knowledge

Islam is a religion that I know very little about. The first thing that pops into my head when I think of Islam is terrorists. I know that is terrible because Islam is probably not all about extremists or killing people in the name of Allah. But because of what happened on 9/11, terrorists have put on a bad name for Islam which I think is kind of unfair because the terrorists are most likely using religion as their excuse to hate and kill Americans. On a side note, I want to talk a little bit about how religion is (in my view on things) often times used as an excuse. Like terrorists is one example of religion being used as a reason for things that would normally be bad. Another example is (this is something that we are learning about in Health class so I am kind of making the connection) hate crimes against gay people. In health class we are learning about what happened to Matthew Shepard, I don't know very much about him yet because we just started learning about him, but we are also talking about hate crimes against gay people in general. Some homophobic people use their religion as an excuse to hate gay people. They say that they are just following the Bible and that being gay is a sin. But really, god is what made all people (or so religious people think and that is who this applies to anyway) and put all people on this earth so saying that being gay is a sin is basically saying that god made a terrible mistake, that god made a sin. And that is something that I don't think would ever come out of a religious person's mouth.

Sorry, got a little off track there, but to sum up what I know about Islam is not very much. I know about some of the major events that helped shape Islam but the religion itself I know very little about except that it was founded by someone named Mohammad.


***Written on Sunday night before starting the readings (I somehow lost track of this post in my "drafts" section)***

No comments:

Post a Comment