Friday, February 10, 2012

The Split Between Christianity and Judaism

Something that I had not known very much about was the split between Christianity and Judaism. It just wasn't something that I was ever taught before this week. I knew that Christianity was originally part of Judaism but I had never known the specifics on how exactly the transition was made from being a sector of one religion to a completely different religion. Even though I am "Christian", I realized that I do not know very much about Christianity and its origins and I suppose those are kind of important things to know about if you want to call yourself a Christian. I did not know if the transition from being part Judaism to being a separate religion was a sudden change or a more gradual change.

I had always heard that the Christianity became a religion before Jesus was even killed. I thought that he made up the religion and gradually gained followers. I also thought that it was the Jews that killed him because he was becoming too powerful. I used to think all of that when I was younger but now that I think about it, it seems pretty impossible for a religion to spread and gain a lot of power in such a short period of time. So that is why it makes sense that Jesus was born and died a jew.

Another thing that I didn't know about was Paul and his letters. I found it very interesting that his letters contained teachings that were put into the bible. Back then, sending letters was a good way to spread to word about this new religion. When Paul said that if the Romans don't love god then they would be first to die when the world ends, the Romans thought that this was a threat and acted upon it. If someone told me that if I didn't love god then I would die, I would think they were crazy. And because I am not a religious person, and I don't really believe in god, it makes me wonder why these people like Paul and Jesus felt so strongly that there was one god. It makes me wonder if they were in fact crazy or if they were just power hungry. It if weird to think entire religions could be based off of lies that one person told, or even worse a crazy person thought they knew about.

So the main thing is, the change from Judaism to Christianity was kind of a gradual change but a few events occurred to help move it along. Events like the revolt against the Roman Empire. I learned that when some of the jews didn't convert to Christianity, the people  who did were mad so they said that it was the jews who hates Jesus even though that probably wasn't true given Jesus was jewish and Christianity was still part of Judaism. It is kind of intriguing to think about how history can be changed by one person saying something. It is kind of like how a religion can be made based on a lie. History can be made based on a lie too.

No comments:

Post a Comment