Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Unit One Reflection: The Environmental Unit

I thought that this unit was very interesting because I pay a lot of attention to the environment and how I use it today. I know a lot about the environment today and who to treat the environment. I also know about the environment and how to keep it healthy for the future, but something that I didn't know very much about was environment in the past. Obviously because it is a history class we would be learning about past things and it was very cool to learn about the environment in the past and how it effected things back then. Looking at history through an environmental stand point is really interesting because we get to look at things in a different view, not just what happened, but what the environment had to do with what happened. In all of my old history classes, we talk about different time periods like ancient Greece, or World War II, this course is like none that I have ever taken because instead of learning about one time period, we are learning about one specific catagory, a specific theme (hence the name of the actual course: Themes in World History). This first unit has given me a taste of the way this course is going to work, with the different themes an all. I think that my view on the environment has changed over the course of this unit. I used to just think of the environment as the earth and trees and plants, just the natural things around us. Now I know that the environment is not just the trees and plants, but everything around us, from the buildings to the towns to the country, everything, that is why environment makes such an impact on peoples lives. I think that one of the most important things I got of this unit was something that kind of impacts me and life decisions. I learned that where you live and what is around you is what is going to impact your life and who you become. Now this might seem like something that everyone knows and I guess that I knew it all along but I was never actually thought about it, because I live in *******and go to school at ****** I get the opportunities that I have and that I am going to get. It is kind of a fate thing, like if you do something it will effect your whole life, it is freaky to think about.   And you if you made a different decision or changed your mind just once, it would change your whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment